Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dave Rempel

Dave being treated at Bon Berger.

Dr. Delphin and his daughter Faith in front of his clinic.


This is a class where women are taught how to sew. This is a

part of Bon Berger.



Getting sick in DR Congo was not what I had in mind and I certainly didn’t think it would become a highlight of my time in Africa. But somehow, God has a way of surprising us in the way he can turn trials into blessings.

Dr. Delphin from Bon Berger was a major blessing to me. When he heard that I was sick he came to visit me and get me started on some medication. I didn’t recover as quickly as expected and so Delphin came the next day to help me through a consultation process at a clinic near the guest house we were staying at. He insisted that I come to Bon Berger for more testing and medical care. I was happy to go with him even though it meant a long and rough taxi ride and a precarious walk over a makeshift bridge. We had previously visited Bon Berger and so I knew that they gave excellent care, not only physically but also spiritually. I was put on an I.V. to get rehydrated and tested for malaria. I got some other meds for diarrhea and vomiting. Paul Peters spent the long night with me at the clinic which I was very grateful for.

Later that morning I found myself all alone in the hospital room. It was Sunday and a church service began a short distance form the clinic. The singing was beautiful and energetic. I felt such peace as they began to sing, “Precious Lord Take My Hand.”
By late afternoon I was feeling a bit stronger and ready to head back to our guest house.
I found out later that Jean Baptiste had been praying for me all night. Amazing!
Unbeknownst to me, my time at Bon Berger spoke loudly to the community. A North American patient had rarely or never gone there for treatment before.

We’ll see how God uses this experience for His glory. Thanks for all your prayers.

Dave R.

No comments:

Post a Comment